The Mechanics element of the AS-Level in Mathematics consists of the following topic areas:
Quantities & Units in Mechanics, Kinematics and Forces & Newton’s Laws. In addition to these topics, the A-Level in Mathematics also covers Moments. See bottom of the page for things you should memorise for AS Mechanics.
Quantities & Units in AS-Level Maths:
Kinematics in AS-Level Maths:
- understand position, displacement, distance, velocity, speed and acceleration
- understand and interpret graphs for motion on a straight line
- understand, use and derive the SUVAT equations
- use calculus in kinematics for motion on a straight line
Kinematics in A-Level Maths:
In addition to the above (including extension to two dimensions in some areas):
- projectile motion under gravity
Forces & Newton’s Laws in AS-Level Maths:
Forces & Newton’s Laws in A-Level Maths:
In addition to the above (where resolution in two dimensions is also required) the following topics are covered:
- resultant forces and dynamics
Moments in A-Level Maths:
In addition to the above:
- using moments in problems with static rigid bodies in equilibrium
Things to remember for AS Mechanics
The SUVAT Equations
Go to Variable Acceleration page.
- Resultant Force:
- Friction: , at maximum when object is moving or about to move.